One of the most popular options for music that can be used at parties is using a guitar amp as a speaker. So that clears out the question if a guitar amp can be used as a speaker. However, remember that the quality of the sound might not match the sound of standard speakers.
Moreover, you must be careful about the volume; the louder the volume, the worse the sound quality. Also, do not play music at excessive volume to protect your amplifiers.
How to use a guitar amplifier as a speaker?
Below we have explained a simple solution for using a guitar amplifier as a speaker. Follow the steps to be able to play music through a guitar amplifier.
Get your hands on an aux cable
Most amplifiers have an input Jack for aux of 3.5 millimeters; however, some amplifiers have the aux input Jack off 6.3 millimeters. Using the aux input, you can connect your computer, tablet, or smartphone to the 3.5-millimeter output.
Follow these simple steps to play music safely using your guitar amplifier:
- Firstly, you will have to connect the audio player with the aux input cable of 3.5 millimeters.
- The next important step must be to turn down the guitar amplifier’s volume to reasonably low so that you do not end up blowing your guitar amplifier due to the high volume of the music. Also, make sure that you turn down the guitar player’s volume.
- Once you have connected the aux cable to the guitar amplifier and to the music source, which can be your smartphone, tablet, or any other music source, you will need to turn up the volume slowly and gradually. Also, raise the amplifier’s volume slowly to adjust to your preferred volume level.
A few tips that you must know about
Here are a few tips for when you are using a guitar amplifier as a speaker for music
Using an amplifier as a speaker is a relatively simple process. You need an aux cable of 3.5 millimeters. However, if the guitar amplifier does not have the aux input jack of 3.5 millimeters, you can find the input jack of 6.5 millimeters. And for that, you will require an adapter.
Below we have added a few essential tips and tricks that you must keep in mind.
- Again, keep the volume down. Usually, people forget to turn the volume off the amplifier and the music source. This results in blowing the speaker and worsening the sound quality. And if you want to avoid that, ensure the amplifier sound is set at a low level. Then, once you have set up the amplifier as a speaker, you can gradually increase the sound as per your preference.
- For better sound quality and to reduce disruption, placing the amplifier and the music source far away from one another is better. This will provide you with comparatively better sound quality.
- Moreover, an amplifier as a speaker is just a quick fix. It is essential to not use the Guitar’s amplifier for a very long time because if it is used for a very long time without stopping, it can stop working.
- Make sure that when using the guitar amplifier as a speaker, the amplifier does not get very hot, and if it does, it is better to turn it off because if you don’t, it might result in more significant damage.
- The amplifier channel needs to be clean enough to ensure that the sound quality is good and the tone of the music is defined.
Moreover, if the aux cable or any other channel has issues, there might be a greater risk of amplifier blowout.
- Lastly, you must adjust the EQ to a neutral level. Once you have set up the aux cable, you can increase the bass frequency to ensure no damage to the speaker or a Lesser blowout risk.
Is it possible to connect your phone to the guitar amplifier?
The phone can easily be connected to the guitar amplifier; however, the aux input Jack has to be 3.5 millimeters. Ensure the volume is low when you are setting up the amplifier as a speaker.
What if you don’t have an Aux? Can you still use a guitar amplifier as a speaker?
Look for a guitar amplifier that has a full-range speaker. If your guitar amplifier comes with a full-range speaker specially designed for playback music, you will not need an aux cable. Such guitar amplifiers are not only amplifiers but also work as speakers that can be connected via Bluetooth.
So, music can be easily played through it. The simple process of using a guitar amplifier as a speaker without an aux is that you connect your smartphone with Bluetooth or any other device capable of connecting with Bluetooth. Once the guitar amplifier is set up, you can easily play music through it.
Guitar amplifiers are not only used as speakers. They can also be used as microphones. However, a simple aux cable will not do the job. The takeaway from the article is that guitar amplifiers can be used as speakers; however, the sound quality might not be amazingly great.
The essential requirement for an amplifier as a speaker is an aux cable of 3.5 millimeters. However, one must check whether the input Jack is off 3.5 millimeters or not. If not, you will require an adapter. Also, you will need a music source such as a smartphone, tablet, or anything else that you can connect with the aux cable to complete the setup. Keep in mind, that this is not a long-term solution; you still need to get a speaker if you want better sound quality.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to the readers.